Spring Forward into a better sleep routine
Last Sunday marked the start of British Summer Time (BST), lighter evenings and hopefully warmer weather; but it has also meant one less hour in bed. This won’t be good news for the 25% of us who have trouble sleeping every night.
Experts at The Fine Bedding Company have got five top tips to get sleep back on track and keep it that way:
- Make the room as dark as possible. Blackout blinds can help. This helps to increase levels of melatonin, the ‘sleep’ hormone
- Keep it cool. No warmer than 17oC for a comfortable night. ‘Smart’ thermometers can control the home’s temperature room by room.
- Make comfort a priority. The Fine Bedding Company’s Breathe duvet has a unique climate control action, which keeps the body at a comfortable temperature all night long.
- Reduce ‘blue-light’ exposure. Commit to turning off any screens at least 30 minutes before bed.
- Seek out light in the morning. Invest in a ‘daylight’ alarm clock which works in harmony with the body’s natural rhythms and mimics the sunrise as you’re gently woken.
A better sleep routine will deliver results almost straight-away…
- Creativity. Hit the ground running in the workplace – a good night’s sleep makes a good problem-solver
- Happy. Emotions are easier to balance and we deal with stress more effectively.
- Healthy weight. Better sleep staves off cravings for sugary carbohydrates which in turn keeps energy levels consistent. Only clocking up five hours sleep or less can make you 50% more likely to be obese.
- Wellness. Kick bugs into touch and say goodbye to sick days. Lack of sleep suppresses the immune system and is also linked to high blood pressure and anxiety.
First published on 01 / 04 / 2015